I'm afraid it's still rather quiet here, the highlight of my day has been an hour of yoga - which wore me out ;) so I thought I'd update you on fundraising things!
Our Oxfam campaign is going well and it will be coming to a close fairly soon - at the end of August. I'd like to thank everyone, by name, who has contributed so far and I'll do that in a moment.
When I first started blogging, it was all about the fundraising. I had no other goals, I didn't think anyone would be particularly interested in MY blog - who'd want to hear me rambling on about my world? But as I started blogging, the views started creeping in. Thanks to an amazing community here, I'm still getting a lot of views even though I'm taking a bit of a sabbatical - so although I don't know your names, I just want to say thank you :) Feel free to de-lurk yourselves in the comments below and say hey xD
I've decided that the monetisation of this site will remain going to charity. Once we're wrapped up with Oxfam, I'll be donating all of my Google Ad-Sense and affiliate £'s to "Rise" which is a local charity to West Sussex and "Cancer Research UK".
Rise is a West Sussex charity that provides support and a place to go for people dealing with domestic abuse. The stats are scary on domestic abuse and even in a time where women are now turning round and saying they don't need feminism the cases of male on female domestic violence are terrifying.
One in Four women will experience domestic violence in their lifetimes, 44% of abusers are recurring offenders, 83% of rape cases are by a person the victim knows and on average 2 women are killed in the UK by their partners or ex-partners. Scary. It's still more common in men>women, but men can be the subject of domestic violence, with 1 in 6 men experiencing it at some point in their lifetime. (1)
I'm still umming and ahhing but there is an 8k run that I couldn't do last year on account of my poorly foot from Trailwalker - well, my feet are fine now, so I'll keep you informed on that count! :)
Just as a side note: For those girls who feel they don't need feminism anymore - you must have been very lucky to have avoided any sort of unwanted attentions. We must be making headway.
Cancer Research UK I'm sure you all know - funding research into beating cancer, what better cause! There are still some Race for Life going, which could be fun to be a part of!
So, at the moment our total fundraising sits at £793 for Oxfam, with some pledges still to be collected - I'll keep you updated!
As I promised - here is our wall of fame for contributors! Thank you SO much to everyone who has contributed, I HAVE left those of you who wanted to remain anonymous off of the list :) (I've arranged them in time order, not amount :)).
The Wall of Fame!
- Nicky - thank you so much for your support this year :)
- Lewis - thank you to a WoW buddy for your support <3
- Stenny - another WoW buddy who became a real-life buddy, thank you for your support :D
- Alia - one of my MFP family. Thank you SO much for your support!
- Dougie - another member of my MFP family, 2years running you've been a Trailwalker contributor! Thank you!
- Em - we first met during a chemistry refresher course. Ah, the fun. We had many felafel ;) Thanks Em :D
- Al - you supported me last year and you've done it again, you rock :D
- Annabel - one of HCBN sisters, thank you so much for your support!! Check out her super Annabel's blog here
I'll update the wall of fame as more pledges come in, but thanks to everyone who has supported us and made it happen :D Love you guys loads!
And also - don't forgot to enter the caption giveaway on this blog post!
Catch you all later :)
1) WomensAid.Org http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violencearticles.asp?section=00010001002200410001itemid=1280itemTitle=Statistics%3A+how+common+is+domestic+violence (accessed @ 17:30 02/08/14)